Evan Ziporyn, Acting Director for 2019-20 Academic Year
Adam K. Boyles, Director
Symphony Orchestra may be taken for credit: 21M.421
T/Th, 7:30-10pm (Held in Kresge Auditorium)
October 12, 2019
• Vitezslava Kapralova, Suita Rustica
• Felix Mendelssohn-Bartholdy, Capriccio Brillant (Madeleine Jansson, Concerto Competition winner, soloist)
• Iva Bittova, Zvon (US premiere)
November 22, 2019
• Richard Wagner, Preludes to Das Rheingold and Lohengrin
• Erik Satie, arr. Ziporyn, Gymnopedies Remix
• Evan Ziporyn, Frog’s Eye
• Ruth Crawford-Seeger, Music for Small Orchestra
• Robert Fripp & Brian Eno, Evening Star (Side A) (US Premiere)
March 13, 2020
April 24, 2020
The MIT Symphony Orchestra holds auditions, by appointment, in the fall and spring. MIT and Wellesley students may take MITSO for 6 units of credit. All local students, MIT community members, and non-MIT community members are welcome to audition.
Auditions for new and returning members will be held by appointment only during the first week in September.
There are three parts to the audition:
1. Prepare a piece of your choosing, 3 minutes maximum (you may select an excerpt from a longer work).
2. You will be asked for the memorized execution of scales in any key, selected from Major, Natural Minor, Melodic Minor, or Harmonic Minor. You can perform them at your own pace, articulation, bowing, etc. provided it remains steady in tempo.
3. A short sight reading excerpt will also be given.
The whole audition will be approximately 10-12 minutes.
*Emphasis is balanced toward execution of good fundamentals over virtuosity*